Minutes Board of Directors Meeting August 22, 2017
1. Call To Order
Meeting was called to order by the President at the Douglas Fir Room of Saanich Commonwealth Place at 7:02 PM.
2. In Attendance
Jarrod Ball, Greg Birtwistle, Al Wills, Mary Wills, Larry Gagnon, Helena Myllyniemi, Vesa Myllyniemi, Rick Ellis, Matthew Lange, Lisa Lange and Dave Ball.
- Regrets: Bruce Somers, Kendra Savich, Brendan Hodgson.
3. Chairman’s Opening Remarks
Regrets that it’s been 2 months since he chaired, due to travels etc., minutes of last meeting were posted last night.
5. Approval Of The Minutes Of The Last Meeting
27 June 2017, as posted on the website. M Al, 2nd Larry – Carried.
- Around the room order:
- Target (Rick) – Last tournament Sunday – 17 archers, next is September 10 – Mary will judge, then October 8 – Al will judge. – Orientation 1 week ago (last Monday) had 20 people show up wide variety of people, new archers, previous club members, rifle people. Next orientation September 18 6:30PM – need to make notices on FB and a newsletter. Should carry on with this program indoors Monday nights in one of the meeting rooms;.
- Range (Greg) – Been working on some butts, with some more to go. Indoor starts Sunday Oct 1;
- Equity (Mary) – No report;
- Junior (Matt) – No report;
- Vice President (Al) – Commonwealth Games – has been in touch with David Black and Suzanne Wecend Dill from the bid committee – archery has not yet been selected, Al committed Archery Canada to support, but not until the bid includes archery. They are looking for sports that would showcase Victoria’s signature inner harbour, Al shared videos from Shanghai and Copenhagen with them;
- Transit – hosted a ‘walk around’ with their staff last month, they are about to have the property surveyed and then architect’s drawings and site plans will be produced, they still want to begin work by January, however there are a number of issues still to be resolved.
- Bollards – Bruce and Al had been looking for bollards to be placed in the parking area for some time, Al was able to get some donated from a building site, they are now on site behind the containers, we will have to look at placing them in the fall/winter. Cost was about $50, still haven’t been billed, will probably be a ‘cash’ deal.
- Membership (Larry) – We currently have 202 members for 2017. We no longer are receiving BCAA cards, we just didn’t need them;.
- Treasurer (Helena) – She has signed the Saanich Recreation contract, negotiating a better deal for lessons, parties and drop-ins..
- Very busy summer lots of lessons, camps and parties;
- Someone from each of our ‘teaching’ groups’ needs to have first aid, plus our instructors need PIC/CRC (record checks) and the youth safety training.
- Equipment (Vesa) – Repaired all indoor stands and 2 butts and repaired the arrows;
- Lessons (Dave) – Summer adult classes 16 first set, 19 second set. – Sully, Veronica and Allan are helping teach classes and have done 3 on their own, working out very well, they have completed their NCCP training – Sully has also completed intermediate training in Vancouver;
- Also spoke to Adam about 55+ lessons scheduled for September 21, 2 – 3PM; and
- JOP (Jarrod) – last week 10 kids, 2 new, has been away the past 2 weeks, smaller #s showing up – Jacob Ball was 2nd at the Canadian Championships..
7. Business Arising
- Outdoor Range Butts – 12” Donaconna is working well, however, still messy. The Bulldog target at 25M is working out very well. Jarrod will get some more material for stuffing the new ‘home made’ butt so that we can begin testing it. – All new cores have been used – need to buy more? Will have to do an inventory at the fall work party;
- 2018 BC Indoor – Bid is due this Friday, BCAA looking for a 2-year commitment. Al outlined some of the requirements – 20 butts would allow for 160 shooters; the facility can accommodate more or another line could be shot (160 was the maximum at the past 2 years);
- Discussion on volunteers required will need a list of the jobs that are required, Al will produce one
- Shelter Moving – Tabled to October work party;
- Signage – Al has spoken to Richard at Accent screening about replacing our ‘coroplast’ signage, which the sun is destroying, he has produced a new ‘Emergency Action’ sign, which will be picked up at the BC outdoor in Duncan. We are discussing new ‘Lock the Gate’ and ‘No Compound Bows on Bag Course’ signs. Cost about $20 each; and
- AGM – Date is September 26, will be in one of the Commonwealth Place meeting rooms – Action – Jarrod to book room, notice needs to go out by August 26 th announcing elections and the opportunity for members to hear how the club is doing.
8. New Business
- Wanda Allan induction to Victoria Sports Hall of Fame (as athlete). We have been approached to sponsor a table @ $1000 with 2 tickets to attend – we have declined
- M Al 2 nd Dave – that the club subsidize 50% of any club member who wishes to attend to a maximum of 10 to be decided by the President – Carried;
- We need to put information in our newsletter and website about Wanda (2-time Olympian and many time Canadian Archery world team member);
- Lending Butts for BC Outdoor (Cowichan Bowmen) – Helena and Rick have been coordinating the pick up of 15 butts
- Interaction with ‘Homeless’ people on the range – Lisa spoke some issues with some people ‘hanging around’ the range and asked what we should do. Members who encounter ‘anyone’ on the range that is not a member should contact Clayton from Choices at (250) 888-3261; and
- Nominating Committee – Jarrod to chair
- Tournament – Rick will assist, (and help with orientation) but not stand for re-election;
- Range – Greg will stand;
- Equity – Lisa will stand;
- Junior Rep – Matt – No;
- Vice President – Al will stand;
- Membership – Larry will stand;
- Treasurer – Helena will stand;
- Equipment – Vesa will stand;
- Lessons – Dave will stand;
- Social – Mary will assist, but not stand; and
- President – Jarrod will stand.
9. Disbursements for Approval
- Dave/Jarrod/Matt/Helena – Lessons,
10. Time And Place Of Next Meeting
AGM 26 September 2017 7:00 pm at Saanich Commonwealth Place, room TBA.
11. For The Good Of The Association
Members gave positive statements on the club.
Meeting adjourned at 8:50 pm.