Here is the latest news including our last Board Meeting (January 19th):
Memberships/Gate Lock Changes
We have a total of 110 members for 2015! If you haven’t renewed you will not be aware of the new combinations, which will be changed on January 27th. If you are paid and have not heard about the new combination by then, please contact the membership chair Larry.
Keep an eye out on the home page, we’re hoping to have the new site up and working this week!
Congratulations to Helena on becoming a card carrying coach at the Pacific Institute for Sport Excellence (PISE) and to Alex Metcalf for becoming a card carrying athlete.
The club would like to find a willing volunteer to look after some social events for the club, to include but not restricted to:
- BBQs at tournaments and work parties
- Special events for club members
- Fun events through out the year
New Butt Stands
Thank you to Vesa Myllyniemi for the innovative design change for our butt stands allowing us to not need the wing nuts any more!
Ladies Shooting Nights
This Women only shooting has been going very well our own program for women by women. The next timings are (6 – 8PM) at the Commonwealth Gym:
- 31 January
- 28 March
- 23 May
- 6 June
- 20 June
As announced previously, we are announcing the following workshops at Saanich Commonwealth Place 11:30 – 1:30.
- January 25 Recurve – Douglas Fir Room
- February 15 Compound – Pacific Dogwood Room
- February 22 Longbow/Barebow – Pacific Dogwood Room
There is no charge for these clinics – they will be a brief introduction then questions and answers.
(Multi-Sites Indoor Championships of the Americas – This is an international ‘Mail-in’ tournament, where archers from all the countries in the Americas compete together. It is a 18M tournament registered with Archery Canada (and, of course, World Archery Americas) Our version is March 1st at the gym, plan to compete it is a great shoot! Practice starts at 11:30 – check in will be in the Pacific Dogwood room. You must pre-register for this tournament, contact Rick Ellis.
We have tentatively booked March 21st and 22nd, watch this space!
We have enough orders for black shirts now, the order has gone in, we are now collecting names for white:
New Archer Program
Coaches will be available most shooting days to help, please take advantage. More information.
Latest Board Meeting
The minutes from our latest meeting (January 19) have just been posted to our meeting page. Next meeting March 16.
The following is repeated information, but still topical:
Our outdoor schedule is coming together fast, our listing of 2015 shoots are posted here.
Drop In Fee
People who have not shot before, and have not been or are not members, may visit the club for a ‘try out’. Because of our insurance issues, we must record the names of such guests, so if you are aware of someone who wants to come out, be sure they sign in first. There is now a register book in the Indoor and Outdoor containers. If you cannot get to the register at the outdoor range, please provide the information to us.
Lock The Gate
If you are the last one at the range, please take the responsibility of checking to make sure everything is locked (container compound and gate). Best to go ahead and lock it if you’re not sure.
A few reminders of etiquette and procedures for indoor shooting: – Always be sure your membership card is visible!
- Whistle rules (always ensure someone is designated to the whistle):
- 2 short whistles – Archers to the line
- 1 short whistle – Begin Shooting
- 3 short whistles – Retrieve arrows
- 4 or more whistles – EMERGENCY – All stop shooting.
- Do not nock arrow until everyone is on or behind the shooting line and whistle is blown.
- Shoot 3 arrows, more allowed if you don’t hold up others.
- Step back from the shooting line when finished shooting.
- Never draw above top of butt. Ensure your arrow will hit the butt, if not, move a butt closer.
- When pulling arrows be careful of those behind you.
- Check your equipment before shooting.
- Youth under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Please help set up, take down and clean up. Don’t leave this to others, someone has to set up and take down, it doesn’t take long if EVERYONE pitches in! Come a bit early and stay until the end.
- Ensure the container is locked if you are last to leave.
- There is NO shooting during work parties, when a work party is called there is no shooting until all the work is complete and the last of the workers has left — the President will open the range when it is appropriate.
Keep an eye on the website and our Facebook page. Our tournament schedule is there are as are results, pictures, and information on all facets of archery!