Here is the latest news including our last Board Meeting (August 18th):
Important Meeting – note change of date and location:
Our Annual General Meeting will be held on the 22nd of September at Saanich Commonwealth Place at 7:00 PM Arbutus Room. Please mark your calendar, this is an important meeting. If you wish to serve on the Board of Directors, please let Jarrod, chair of the nominating committee know and you will be added to the nominations.
We have a total of 188 members as of Monday!
Rick Ellis has organized an introductory field round at the Cowichan Bowmen for September 14th at 10AM.
Fall Shooting Times
We have new shooting times for Sundays at Saanich Commonwealth Pool – 1:15 – 2:45 JOP and then the club from 2:45 until 4:45.
The following is repeated information, but still topical:
We teach formal archery classes in concert with Saanich Recreation on Tuesday and Thursday evenings and our JOPs shoot on Sunday afternoons (3 – 5), if you want to shoot while they are going on, please do so on a ‘non interference basis, follow their timings by starting and stopping shooting with them.
The ladies shooting is finished for now, based on interest we will begin again later this summer or in the fall, if you are interested, (Ladies only), please provide your feed back to Diana.
Summer mailmatches are now running through September with shooting on Saturday mornings at 10, they are all listed on our tournaments page. Note that if you miss a Saturday, you can still shoot anytime during the week as long as there are 3 participants. There is a one time fee of $10 for the entire program.
Shooting During Work Parties – clarification
It is refreshing to have so many of you offer to leave when one of our other members is working, however, a workparty is defined as something organized, called and advertised by the club, where members are asked to come out and work on projects or tasks. If it is just one of us cutting grass or working, by all means talk to them and see if you can shoot on a ‘non interference basis. Your cooperation is appreciated!
We need new judges, if you are interested in Judge training, please contact Al and we will set up an introductory meeting. The process is very simple, you can do the first training online, then assist in some tournaments and if you like it, you can move onto more training and certification. Please give this some consideration, we need you!
If there is sufficient interest we will look at another Instructor Beginner course in the fall (this is training for supervision and teaching of basic archery). We are also considering offering a Instructor Intermediate course (normally for those that have successfully completed Instructor Beginner) in the fall. Again, please contact Al if you are interested.
Lock the Gate:
- We have had quite a few instances lately of the gate not being closed and locked, if you are the last one at the range, please take the responsibility of checking to make sure everything is locked (container compound and gate). Best to go ahead and lock it if you’re not sure.
A few reminders of etiquette and procedures for outdoor shooting: – Always be sure your membership card is visible!
1. Whistle rules (always ensure someone is designated to the whistle):
a) 2 short whistles – Archers to the line
b) 1 short whistle – Begin Shooting
c) 3 short whistles – Retrieve arrows
d) 4 or more whistles – EMERGENCY – All stop shooting.
2. Do not nock arrow until everyone is on or behind the shooting line and whistle is blown.
3. Shoot 6 arrows, more allowed if you don’t hold up others
4. Step back from the shooting line when finished shooting
5. Never draw above top of butt. Ensure your arrow will hit the butt, if not, move a butt closer
6. When pulling arrows be careful of those behind you.
7. Check your equipment before shooting.
8. Youth under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
9. Please help set up, take down and cleanup. Don’t leave this to others, someone has to set up and take down, it doesn’t take long if EVERYONE pitches in! Come a bit early and stay until the end.
10. Ensure container and gate is locked if you are last to leave.
11. There is NO shooting during work parties, when a work party is called there is no shooting until all the work is complete and the last of the workers has left – The President will open the range when it is appropriate.