BECOME A MEMBER OF VICTORIA BOWMEN

BOD Meeting Minutes: May 2014

Minutes Board of Directors Meeting May 26, 2014

1. Call To Order

Meeting was called to order by the President at the Arbutus Room of Saanich Commonwealth Place at 7:35 PM

2. In Attendance

Al & Mary Wills, Helena Myllyniemi, Barry Snowdon, Larry Gagnon, James Collett, George Trattner, Jarrod Ball, Bradley Clements Diana Kaun and Rick Ellis.

  • Regrets: Bruce & Bev Somers, Tracy Klat

3. Chairman’s Opening Remarks

Al Opened the meeting by presenting Gold Mailmatch medals to Diana and Jarrod, other winners are Barry Denluck Silver, Bard Barclay Gold and Greg Fong Gold.

4. Correspondence

  • Still many emails and calls about lessons and camps.
  • Sponsorship request Abbotsford club for the 2015 Canadian indoor 3D.

5. Approval Of The Minutes Of The Last Meeting

14 April ’14, as posted on the website. M Diana 2nd Barry Carried.

6. Business Arising

  • Ladies Night – Diana reported it is going very well, 3 more times left to end June – have an average of 10 Women, still haven’t decided what to do after whether to stay with indoor or move outside.
  • Timer – Al explained the weak link in the times is the hand held controller, he has been able to repair them in the past, however we now have 2 that have failed – Larry will take a look at them. We still have 3 working controllers, so we hope they will last us until more modern/affordable units are available.

7. Reports

Around the room order:

  • JOP/Jarrod – Everything is going very well, Participated in the Family day at the Pacific Institute for Sport Excellence (PISE) May 3, very busy at the demo some 300 people went through.
    • Went to BC Indoor in Oliver, went well
    • Archers scores really improving
    • Did a potluck awards night last Friday for the JOP winners.
    • June 8th is the JOP Outdoor in Cowichan, planning max attendance.
    • 3 members trying out for Canada Winter Games may need some 600s hosted.
  • JOP/Brad – assisting Jarrod.
  • Field/Barry – bags are done on field and all targets measured 8 – 40 metres, getting lots of use.
  • Rick – Intro to 3D went very well, 12 attended, good cooperation from the Malahat group.
    • Wondering about hosting a Field round at Cowichan or a Flat Field at our course, will contact Cowichan and discuss after Provincial 3D is complete.
    • 900 May 26 went very well, had 20 shooters, 3 archers set records. It was a senior games qualifier, which they paid for the use of the range.
    • This will be a very busy season with lots of registered shoots and mailmatches.
  • James – Thanks for watering the trees, they are doing well!
    • Starting outdoor adult lessons in 3 weeks, all going well and fully booked through September.
    • Will be doing an RCMP group soon
    • Has contacted Panorama Rec Centre about adult/lesson, he is meeting them June 5th.
  • Treasurer/Helena –Commonwealth still owes us about $3,000 – 3 more weeks of indoor courses – July and August are filled with summer camps – Adam is trying to book home school classes. Another 20′ of netting is needed.
  • PR/Diana – Press release was done with Jarrod sent to 3 places, no response.
  • Membership/Larry – 164 members as of today, a lot using PayPal. Discussion on how to work a discount for partial year – Will discuss some sort of payment from June to September, so the insurance is covered.
  • Secretary/Mary – No report.

8. New Business

  • 720 Scorecards, discussion on quantities – M – Rick/2nd Jarrod order 2000 cards. – Carried
  • Mailmatch Fees – Rick – they will run every Saturday (Can be shot any day if there are 3 participants) June through end September M – Rick/2nd Diana to set fee $10 for the series – Carried
  • Judge Fees – Rick – discussion on fair and equitable payment for judging currently $20/shoot – M Rick/2nd Jarrod for new rate – $30 for each event (720/900/1440) – if
    events are double then fee doubles.
  • Butts – Discussion on the dissatisfaction with many of the Whitetail butts and solutions, the Birtwistle brothers are building a buggy that will assist in moving the large heavy Donaconna butts based on the Cowichan model – M – Rick/2nd Barry to build 2 new Donaconna butts Carried.
  • Nockstars (JOP) website – Jarrod introduced their new website – nockstarsarchery.com – this will supplement the Victoria Bowmen website.
  • 600 Qualifiers for Canada Winter Games – Discussion on how to get some more qualifiers for the JOP members trying to qualify – suggest contact Cowichan Bowmen as they have a full indoor range.
  • Fall Shooting times – Adam from Saanich Recreation has brought forward a proposal to give archery basically from 1100 – 5PM – it still has a few wrinkles, we will work with them.
  • Judge Training – We need more judges, Al will put out a notice on how to begin to become qualified and then we will set up a short meeting to motivate.
  • Coach Training – There is interest for upgrading to Coach Intermediate, Al will investigate what we would require and if we can run a Victoria Bowmen event again in the late summer/fall.
  • Shooting During Work Parties – Al stressed that there can be NO shooting during workparties, and workparties are not complete until all the work is done and the workers have left or secured. Will investigate where our ‘Range Closed’ is.
  • Paper tune frame – Rick will produce a frame, without paper, archers can bring their own paper.
  • Porta Potties – Discussion on a more regular pumping schedule and how important it is that the toilets are always clean. Helena will set up a pumping schedule monthly from May through October. Then every 2 months for the winter months – we will monitor and adjust as required.

9. Disbursements For Approval

James/Jarrod/Brad – for lessons, Rick/Bruce equipment M- Larry/2nd Barry – Carried

10. Time And Place Of Next Meeting

May 26 2014 Saanich Commonwealth Place Arbutus Room 7:30 PM.

Bradley volunteered to bring sweets to the next meeting.

11. Adjournment

Meeting adjourned at 9:30 PM.