Here is the latest news including our last Board Meeting:
Special congratulations to our JOP members who competed in the recent JOP Indoor Championships last weekend. We had 7 of our JOP members place either 1st or 2nd, all looking very professional in their new ‘nockstars’ shirts! Great job Jarrod and Bradley!
Compounds on the Bag Course
You have probably noticed by now the new signs reading no compound bows on the Bag (Field) course. This course has never been for compounds, it is not safe and does not have the required safety corridors for compounds. The course is designed for long and Recurve bows only.
Spring Work Party
Please mark your calendars: April 26th, 10AM – Noon, This is our ‘Spring clean up’, so please bring along your wheel barrow, rake, gloves, shovel and pruners. We’ll be picking rocks and getting the range ready for a busy year. We’ll wrap the day up with a BBQ.
Tuesday Night Shooting
Our lessons will be conducted on Tuesday evenings again this year, so the lessons have priority, you are welcome to shoot on butts they are not using, but please follow their whistles and safety protocols.
Victoria Bowmen Clothing (2012 Canadian Championships)
There are still some T shirts, Women’s Bella ‘T’s and hats from the ’12 Canadian available at a great discount ($5 each), please contact Mary (474-4909) or Bev (478-9951). We’ll be bringing them out for shooting nights and they’ll be available at the workparty.
Introduction to 3D Archery May 3rd
The game of 3D Archery consists of judging the distance to, and then shooting at, foam animals in various settings.
We have organized an introduction to 3D in cooperation with the Victoria Fish and Game Protective Association. http://www.vfgpa.org
We have had quite a few instances lately of the gate not being closed and locked, if you are the last one at the range, please take the responsibility of checking to make sure everything is locked (container compound, toilets and gate).
A few reminders of etiquette and procedures for outdoor shooting: – Always be sure your membership card is visible!
1. Whistle rules (always ensure someone is designated to the whistle):
a) 2 short whistles – Archers to the line
b) 1 short whistle – Begin Shooting
c) 3 short whistles – Retrieve arrows
d) 4 or more whistles – EMERGENCY – All stop shooting.
Do not nock arrow until everyone is on or behind the shooting line and whistle is blown.
3. Shoot 6 arrows, more allowed if you don’t hold up others
4. Step back from the shooting line when finished shooting
5. Never draw above top of butt. Ensure your arrow will hit the butt, if not, move a butt closer
6. When pulling arrows be careful of those behind you.
7. Check your equipment before shooting.
8. Youth under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
9. Please help set up, take down and cleanup. Don’t leave this to others, someone has to set up and take down, it doesn’t take look if EVERYONE pitches in! Come a bit early and stay until the end.
10. Ensure container and gate is locked if you are last to leave.
Keep an eye on the website, and our facebook page, our tournament schedule is there are as are results, pictures and information on all facets of archery!