Introductory Archery Lessons
Learn archery from archers! Victoria Bowmen has partnered with Saanich Recreation. Saanich Recreation looks after all the bookings, so you do not have to contact the club.
All pricing and availability is through Saanich Recreation. You can contact them at (250) 475-7600.
- All courses are taught by an Archery Canada qualified coach.
- The lessons consist of 6 one-hour lessons.
- Club equipment will be provided for use during the course.
- Fall and winter (Saanich Commonwealth Place) and summer (Victoria Bowmen Outdoor Range) instructional programs will be conducted as interest warrants.
- Dates and times will be published seasonally, and registration forms are available for download from the Saanich Recreation website.
- Course content:
- General introduction to archery concepts and organizations
- Range safety
- Range etiquette
- Equipment selection, care, set-up and use
Private lessons are available for those budding archers requiring a more personal, tailored approach, or for those whose busy schedule overlaps with the dates and times of the courses currently on offer through Saanich Recreation.
All private lessons are held at our outdoor facility at 2401 West Burnside (unless other arrangements have been made with the instructor) and are subject to instructor availability, available daylight hours, and the elements (we don’t teach in heavy rain or wind). It is recommended that you discuss these matters and any other concerns or requirements that you might have with your instructor beforehand.
Basic recurve equipment (bows, arrows, targets, etc.) can be provided upon request. Whatever your needs, we are here to work with you!
(Please bear in mind that instructor time is limited, and we strongly recommend that you attend a regular introductory lesson before deciding on private lessons. Simply contact Saanich Recreation for course dates and times. If you still feel that private lessons are for you, you can contact us directly for more information.)
|Number of attendees||Cost (per hour)|
* Compound lessons are only available to participants with their own equipment.
If you require lessons for more than 3 people, please refer to Group Lessons below.
Intermediate/Advanced Archery Lessons
Intermediate lessons are open to all recurve and compound Victoria Bowmen club members who want to take their shooting to the next level. Courses are held at the outdoor range year round.
- Form and shot execution improvement
- Equipment set up and tuning
- Tournament preparation
- Sets of 4 or 8 lessons, 1.5 hours long each.
- Small groups to ensure individual attention by instructor.
- Participants bring their own equipment (assistance is available for purchasing equipment); butts and targets provided by Victoria Bowmen.
- Taken over whatever period of time best suits the individual archer. For example: one lesson per week, or take a lesson – practice what you learn for a couple of weeks – then take another lesson.
|4 Lessons (6 hrs. of instruction)||$100|
Groups (Summer Camps, Schools, & Birthdays)
Victoria Bowmen instructors have a great deal of experience with groups. Whether it’s a family wanting an introduction to the sport, a birthday or work party event, or a large school group, we can help. All group lessons are held at our outdoor facility (2401 West Burnside), regardless of the time of year.
Lessons are subject to instructor availability, available daylight hours, and the elements (we don’t teach in heavy rain or wind). All equipment (bows, arrows, and targets) is provided.
|Number of attendees||Cost (per hour)|
|Small Groups (4-8 archers)||$150|
|Large Groups (9-16 archers)||$300|
Contact us with your date(s), group size, age range, and any special requirements. Please also check our event calendar to make sure that your chosen dates don’t interfere with any existing events or lessons. Group events should be scheduled a minimum of a week in advance.