1 Call to Order
The meeting was called to order by the President at 7:05pm
2. Chairman’s Opening Remarks
The president welcomed everyone to the meeting and thanked them for their attendance. He commented that regular meetings will resume when indoor shooting begins and asked that board members make an effort to increase their involvement, as involvement has dwindled over the last while.
There is no official correspondence to report.
Greg Cargill, Greg Birtwistle, Al Wills, Lisa Lange, Ellen Vander Hoek, Jim Birtwistle, Helena Myllyniemi, Billy Sanderson, Ralph Clark, Dave Ball, Larry Gagnon, Doug Linton, Bruce Somers.
5. Approval of the Minutes of the Previous Meeting (July 16, 2020)
Moved – Greg Birtwistle
2nd – Larry Gagnon
Treasurer: Rent has been paid at Commonwealth; accounts are still in the black though revenue is down.
Membership Director: The club has 2 new members since the last meeting, bringing the total to 147, which is lower than usual but expected because of the pandemic.
JOP: There are 3 new attendees at JOP and around 7 competitive members that attend each week.
Dave Ball: There is no word on when drop-in shooting might start up; waiting to hear from Saanich Commonwealth.
Range Director: The range is in stable condition.
7. Business Arising from the Minutes
No business arising from the previous minutes.
8. New Business
- Board Orientation and Planning
- Burnside Road/Willing Park Update
- The club will be allowed to continue shooting at Burnside Road until Christmas at least and it is desired that the Victoria Bowmen maintain a presence on the property.
- The response to the neighborhood outreach at Willing Park was not positive but Langford will work with the local residents and the club to hopefully come to a mutually agreeable arrangement.
- Outdoor Tournament Venue Possibility
- There is a space near the baseball diamonds on Colville Road that we are able to run tournaments on. The club would be transporting butts, stands, clocks, etc and removing them after each tournament. Billy, as Tournament Director will look into hosting events (or not).
- 2021 Membership Renewal Process
- There is a new database being implemented with Archery Canada that allows members to renew all their memberships (club, BCAA, Archery Canada) simultaneously, sign a required waiver, and have access to their membership cards across various mediums (online, hard copy).
- The president is asking that members hold off on renewing until Victoria Bowmen has been added to the new system. This will hopefully be available around November 1st.
- Indoor Shooting November
- As there is an added cost to shoot Thursday evenings because Saanich Commonwealth has decreased their hours, it was decided to wait until November to begin indoor shooting on Thursdays.
- Indoor shooting at Saanich Commonwealth will begin on November 5 and run from 8:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Range Control – Indoor and Outdoor
- The club needs more people to be responsible for range control, as the prospective move means that the club has to be completely responsible when it comes to safety (lines will always be controlled with a whistle; no more retrieving arrows while someone else is shooting at the outdoor range). Board members are asked to pitch in and take a turn at controlling the shooting line.
- Range Safety Officers
- The club has about 5 people who are certified Range Safety Officers and is looking for more. The process is a simple course and exam that is available online.
- Containers – 40’ versus 20’
- The board is being asked to weigh the benefits of using 20’ versus 40’ storage containers. We would probably need 3 20’ vs the 2 40’.This will be followed up at the next meeting.
- Container Move Date
- It was decided to wait to determine a move date for the containers in case the use of the Burnside property is extended further.
- 20# of lobster was donated by the PEI 2021 Canadian Championships Committee for the championships and as they didn’t run it was raffled off. Our new member Mike Shae won the lobster and is sharing it with the club. We now have 20 pounds of lobster to use in some fundraising.
9. Disbursements for Approval
- Disbursements were made to Greg Cargill for JOP and a private archery class, and to the Church of the Advent for use of their meeting room.
Moved: Doug Linton
2nd: Greg Cargill
10. Time and Place of New Board Meeting
The next meeting will take place on November 19, 2020 at 7:00 p.m. at Saanich Commonwealth Place
11. Good and Welfare
The meeting was adjourned at 8:11 p.m.