BECOME A MEMBER OF VICTORIA BOWMEN

BOD Meeting Minutes: March 2017

Minutes Board Of Directors Meeting March 28, 2017

1. Call To Order

Meeting was called to order by the President at the Arbutus Room of Saanich Commonwealth Place at 7:00 PM.

2. In Attendance

Al Wills, Mary Wills, Bruce Somers, Helena Myllyniemi, Larry Gagnon, Rick Ellis, Jarrod Ball, Matthew Lange, Kendra Savich.

  • Regrets: Vesa Myllyniemi, Dave Ball, Maurna Davidson, Greg Birtwistle, Brendan Hodgson.

3. Chairman’s Opening Remarks

Already hot on the topic so we went right into the new proposed handyDart facility in View Royal and the meeting Al sat in on.

4. Correspondence

  • handyDart facility proposed site plan and fact sheets distributed for member perusal.

5. Approval Of The Minutes Of The Last Meeting

28 February 2017, as posted on the website. Bev to be removed from members present. M Jarrod, 2nd Larry carried.

6. Reports

  • Around the room order:
  • Website (Kendra) – Not much to report, going to go through archived site for news and pictures to add to new site.
  • Al – Already covered.
  • Social (Mary) – Nothing to report.
  • Membership (Larry) – 147 members today.
  • Junior (Matt) – Washrooms are clean.
  • Treasurer (Helena) – Not producing too much money, waiting on next payment from Saanich. Trying to send more kids to JOP. Lots of hesitance over equipment etc. Discussion of potentially shortening indoor shooting times to minimize rent costs. Tabled for new year booking agenda.
  • Target (Rick) – Had a tournament with very low turnout. Not sure why it wasn’t better; some didn’t know about it but can’t explain all of them. Reset the outdoor range targets with Donnaconna.
  • Bruce – Request that when repairs are done on tractor that everything is put back where it was.
  • JOP (Jarrod) – Adult lessons are full, couple of new members and folks training for Invictus Games. JOP championships in Cowichan weekend after Easter. Few JOPs going to BC championships, and a few new JOP members joining.

7. Business Arising

  • Tournament Schedule – Tournament on April 23 with Mary judging. May 14 with Mary judging. June 11 with Helena judging.
  • Buttress Rebuilding – Bunch of non-poly stretch wrap acquired for rebuilding, currently on test target for trial shooting. Bulldog needs to be rebuilt at work party. Research to be done on different target types for initial cost vs lifetime.

8. New Business

  • handyDart Facility – Mayor and council members all said they were happy to see the archery range was still present in the proposed plans. Has to go back to council for the property to be rezoned, and they want the process to be completed within a year or two.
  • Website Review – Recommendation to use team password wallet to handle club accounts and improve security.
  • Outdoors Drop-In Class – Requests occurring frequently for outdoor drop-ins. Concerns with how funding and insurance collected. Recommendation to continue it through Commonwealth. Discussion of the option of holding all lessons indoors.
  • New Junior Member Initiative – Lisa recommended incentive of cut rate for first year of club membership for young members. Issue with memberships already as cheap as can be cut. Option of posters and brochures to raise awareness, and potential sponsorship by Saanich.
  • Work Party – Target refacing and gussets to be worked on. To take place April 29 at 10 AM.
  • Invictus Games – Victoria looking at hosting 2020 Invictus Games. All indoors shooting.
  • UVic – Proposed to buy our butts. We will not entertain.

9. Disbursements for Approval

  • Jarrod for JOP
  • Rick for butts
  • Matt for lessons, birthdays, camps
  • M Al, 2nd Bruce – Carried

10. Time And Place Of Next Meeting

April 25 2017 7:00 PM at Saanich Commonwealth Place, room TBA.

11. For The Good Of The Association

Members gave positive statements on the club.

12. Adjournment

Meeting adjourned at 9:09 PM.

Leave a Reply