BECOME A MEMBER OF VICTORIA BOWMEN

BOD Meeting Minutes: June 2016

Minutes Board of Directors Meeting June 30, 2016

1. Call To Order

Meeting was called to order by the President at the Arbutus Room of Saanich Commonwealth Place at 7:07 PM.

2. In Attendance

Al Wills, Mary Wills, Helena Myllyniemi, Rick Ellis, Vesa Myllyniemi, Jarrod Ball, Matthew Lange, Kendra Savich, Dave Ball, Greg Birtwistle, Brendan Hodgson.

  • Regrets: Bev Somers, Bruce Somers, Maurna Davidson, Larry Gagnon.

3. Chairman’s Opening Remarks

Welcomed everyone and wished a happy Canada Day, everything looking good outside, Wednesday shoots going fantastic.

4. Correspondence

  • Been asked to renew our contract next year with Saanich. Mentioned potentially doing drop-ins on Sunday nights, pushed to keep them on Monday nights.

5. Approval Of The Minutes Of The Last Meeting

31 May 2016, as posted on the website. M Mary, 2nd Greg carried.

6. Reports

  • Around the room order:
  • Lessons (Dave) – Classes have been great. Same 15 coming out and showing up.
  • Brendan – Going to get into coaching soon.
  • Mary – Enjoyed her sessions with Dave and Bruce, thinks it’s working out well.
  • Target (Rick) – Last tournament was Father’s Day, 20 people there, 5 guests, went well. Next is July 12, possibly have a bunch coming over from Cowichan for compound and recurve shoots. Still some talk about an elimination tournament.
    • Change Oct 8th tournament to September 25th.
    • Big new butt we bought from Bulldog is getting pounded and having fletches buried in it. For tournament should rotate and flip it. Suggested talk to president of Terrace club.
    • Replacement cores in at Vancouver.
  • Range (Greg) – Did tents yesterday. Got two from Seniors Games and one repaired that’s still fine. Will work until September.
  • Al – Nothing to report.
  • Equipment (Vesa) – Nothing to report.
  • Treasurer (Helena) – Spoofed email sent to Helena appearing like it came from info@ asking for workshop money. Checked with Jarrod and didn’t transfer the money when he confirmed he didn’t send the email.
    • Busy month, had Crystal Pool twice, 3-4 birthday parties. More coming. Still in the black.
  • Junior (Matt) – Cleaned outhouses on Saturday, removed wasp nest from judges’ stand.
  • Website (Kendra) – Spoke with Jarrod about the spoofed email. Will do what she can to secure the info@ account but is limited by server settings. Stated that any emails appearing to come from an @victoriabowmen.com account other than info@ will always be spoofed and should not be trusted.
  • Members (Larry) – (As forwarded to Jarrod.) 179 members at the moment. Added brochures to info box at the range.
  • JOP (Jarrod) – Had shoot at Cowichan, at least one medalled.

7. Business Arising

  • Locks For Lockers – Sorted out. Now has a coded combo lock to match the other two. Larry still has old key. Front gate and compound were left unlocked again. Some question of who has which keys and access; will test them.
  • Coaching Clinic – Still working on setting dates.
  • Nets – Will do them between July and August.
  • New Bows – Sold all of our bows, discussion of whether to buy and stock more. Vesa to get pricing on 8 bows.
  • Coaches For Lessons – Since last meeting have rotation of coaches for lessons going on right now as a stopgap, not a permanent setup. Would be nice to have coaches for Sunday mornings, though Jarrod can cover for now. Need a director to ensure an ongoing rotation and filled spaces. Calling on suggestions, requests, wants to be shared. Don’t have class list for next set of outdoor lessons; times may make it impossible for current coaches to make it.
    • Mentioned that coaches need regular criminal background checks. Al will draft up letter with details to be sent out.
  • Equipment Director – Everything looks good where we’re at. Had bunch of old equipment donated to us to be sorted through. Proposed idea of club garage sale or swap meets, possibly with fundraiser/BBQ; to be brought up with Maurna. Set for September 18th, 10-2.
    • Need finger tabs. Vesa will look into.

8. New Business

  • New Coaches – Already discussed, let Jarrod know if know of anyone who wants to become a club.
  • Mail Match – Last meeting discussed the Mail Match, Jordan has expressed interest in running it but unsure how much interest remains. Can get everything he needs from Archery Canada, just needs access to targets.
  • Athlete Assistance – Sergei approached Helena and asked if club still does it. Used to do it for years but then had no one going to nationals. Just Sergei, Angela and Jarrod going at the moment, but organizers pay for most costs.
    • Motion to provide athlete assistance to club members for nationals this year. M Dave, 2nd Al carried.
  • Range Layout – Al still working with.
  • Email Notices – More minimalist mail template for meeting announcements.
  • Website – Members area shouldn’t be hard to get to. Kendra to re-add to site’s navigation.
    • Kendra to look into posting more news and tips on the site and newsletters to keep members involved.
  • Target Butts – Need strategy for handling target butts. Proposed trying out Warthog butts and/or other targets before locking in Bulldog. Vesa to look into that and ethafoam, Al and Jarrod to possibly check out Warthogs at nationals.

9. Disbursements for Approval

  • Jarrod for JOP
  • Matthew for Commonwealth, parties, Crystal Pool
  • Helena for Commonwealth, parties, Crystal Pool
  • M Kendra, 2nd Brendan – Carried

10. Time And Place Of Next Meeting

August 25th 2016 7pm at Saanich Commonwealth Place, Arbutus Room; ensure everything is ready for the AGM. AGM set for September 29th, 7pm.

11. For The Good Of The Association

Members gave positive statements on the club.

12. Adjournment

Meeting adjourned at 8:37pm.

Leave a Reply