BECOME A MEMBER OF VICTORIA BOWMEN

BOD Meeting Minutes: April 2016

Minutes Board of Directors Meeting April 18, 2016

1. Call To Order

Meeting was called to order by the President at the Arbutus Room of Saanich Commonwealth Place at 6:35pm.

2. In Attendance

Helena Myllyniemi, Larry Gagnon, Rick Ellis, George Trattner, Jarrod Ball, Matthew Lange, Kendra Savich, Dave Ball, Greg Birtwistle.

  • Regrets: Al Wills, Mary Wills, Bev Somers, Bruce Somers, James Collett, Maurna Davidson
  • Guests: Brenden Hodgson

3. Chairman’s Opening Remarks

Good to see everyone this month. It’s getting warm out, which is awesome.

4. Correspondence

  • St. Michael’s University has some kids going to do bow building in Campbell River, wanted to have some instruction in shooting before starting.
  • Contribution to CAF has been received with appreciation coin.

5. Approval Of The Minutes Of The Last Meeting

14 March 2016, as posted on the website. M Dave, 2nd Rick carried.

6. Reports

  • Around the room order:
  • Al (as presented by Jarrod) – New shooting shelter is up and in good shape. Talked to government contact about the property, no progress, still discussing the sewer issue. Split for drop-ins has been changed and prices may be raised. New bylaws complete and up on the site, please review your positions for the board. Working on getting nets down and cleaned. Confirm that Bulldog target is the Plus model. Butt replacement cores on order.
  • NAP Program (Dave) – Drop-in still steady and consistent, still getting some membership through it, especially from those who regularly stop in.
  • Junior (Matt) – One of the outhouses done last Saturday, other one on hold because wasps moved in and no pesticide. Will purchase some and take care of it.
  • Range (Greg) – Been having lock issues with various gates, had to purchase more because one from main gate was stolen. Other than that going well, Bruce going to do maintenance.
  • Target (Rick) – Yesterday’s tournament had 16 people, good shoot with lots of sunshine. Next is May 15th. No guests this time but hope for some Vancouver guys next time. Bit of schedule conflict with Port Alberni’s 3D shoot and lost a couple of people to it.
  • Brenden – Converting scores for new Archery Canada system with Al’s input.
  • Equipment (George) – Very quiet, current course ends next weekend.
  • Membership (Larry) – 159 members today. Bit concerned because significantly down from last year and the year before and only trickling in so far, funds from membership may not be reliable this year.
  • Treasurer (Helena) – Still in the black, rent’s been paid until end of the month so no rental fees until September. Lessons are full.
  • Website (Kendra) – Membership area taking more work than expected, going to hammer at the code this week and weekend to find a solution. Will look at website stats for potential trends that might help improve membership/lesson signup.
  • JOP (Jarrod) – JOP has been a little slow but very busy, did JOP indoor championships with 7 people from our club and great scores. Lisa has taken on scoring administration. JOP outdoor championships in about two months.

7. Business Arising

  • Funding Subcommittee – Committee minutes report handed around and discussed. Factored in prep and cleanup time. Drop-in has cost club overall but Saanich is willing to adjust split.
    • NAP has cost club with no revenue to balance so coaching should be provided by volunteers; program was dropped.
    • JOP very expensive with no revenue to balance, recommended drop to one instructor and encourage more parent volunteer contribution, the long term goal being honoraria supported by JOP fundraising. Jarrod will discuss with parents and look at forming subcommittee, as well as reduce to one instructor; will also look at increasing fees for JOPs or all membership fees, some discussion of adjusting difference between junior and senior membership fees.
  • Judges Stand – Stand is in place, worked great, needs another coat of paint and will move to the other end of the line at the work party.
  • Shooting Times – Regular outdoor club shoot to be changed to 12 – 2:30pm.
  • Minutes Details – Already discussed.
  • Coaching Clinic – Postponed. Get one paid by BCAA per year that members don’t have to pay for.
  • Nets – Can’t dye nets due to material. Option is take curtains down and have them strongly bleached (will try small swatch first). Will still have them cut and hemmed. Lessons finished third week of May, Helena in until end of June and needs curtains until then. Will try BCAA nets as half of netting.
  • Gym Doors – Tabled.
  • Bows For Sale – Sold all the bows plus one. George hasn’t experienced any shortages so far even with full lessons but will run into problems when Jarrod takes some for the summer. Will bring others into circulation.

8. New Business

  • Tournament Fees (newsletter) – Club members will pay $5/day for a tournament, guests are $20/day.
  • Targets & Target Cores – Target cores are on the way. Bulldog holding up okay so far. 680/690 likely going to be too strong for it.
  • Bylaws – Discussed.
  • Fundraising Committee – There’s money out there that people want to give us, want to look into regular sponsorship; Jarrod wrote up club sponsorship proposal. Lot of people using the range and in very visible location; sides of tents could be option, below targets, on judge’s stand, club website, etc. M Kendra, 2nd Brandon.
  • Range Work Party – Need to move judge’s sand, buy gravel and dirt to fill in low spot, mark butt spots with salt. Need up to $600 to buy aggregate to fill, M Helena, 2nd Kendra. Date dependent on Bruce and truck guy.
  • Website – Updated board members to be more current. Take look at Texas Archery, which has high speed videos played back on site.
  • Indoor Shooting – Only 5 people last Sunday, for next year will look at ending at the end of March (or after BC Indoor Championships). For this year already paid up to end of April.
  • Disbursements – Going to stop some disbursements and honoraria until receipts are reviewed and sorted out.

9. Disbursements for Approval

  • Dave for JOP and drop in
  • Jarrod for JOP
  • Rick for clinics
  • Greg for locks and fuel
  • M Kendra, 2nd Helena – Carried

10. Time And Place Of Next Meeting

May 30 2016 6:30pm at Saanich Commonwealth Place, Arbutus Room. Jarrod will bring treats.

11. For The Good Of The Association

Members gave positive statements on the club.

12. Adjournment

Meeting adjourned at 8:25pm.

Leave a Reply