BECOME A MEMBER OF VICTORIA BOWMEN

BOD Meeting Minutes: February 2016

Minutes Board of Directors Meeting February 15, 2016

1. Call To Order

Meeting was called to order by the President at the Arbutus Room of Saanich Commonwealth Place at 7:05pm.

2. In Attendance

Al Wills, Mary Wills, Helena Myllyniemi, Rick Ellis, George Trattner, Jarrod Ball, Kendra Savich, Dave Ball, James Collett, Bradley Clements, Greg Birtwistle.

  • Regrets: Matthew Lange, Maurna Davidson, Larry Gagnon, Bruce Somers

3. Chairman’s Opening Remarks

Some things going on, some things coming up, looking forward to the next month.

4. Correspondence

  • Olson Gazette/Saanich News reporter came in to interview two of our JOP shooters going to the Games, was a great article that went into the papers.
  • Spam rate for victoriabowmen.com addresses is skyrocketing; Kendra will ramp up the spam filter settings.
  • Certificate of insurance for Commonwealth that we need to get, and guide for compliance with BC Worksafe but don’t have anyone yet that it applies to.

5. Approval Of The Minutes Of The Last Meeting

18 January 2016, as posted on the website.

Revision to be made to January minutes: 60 members in lessons instead of 16.

6. Reports

  • Around the room order:
  • Lessons (James) – Discussion of potential conflict between drop-ins and club lessons for the summer. Will make decisions at a later date when more information is available and summer schedule is better established.
    • Reminder to use calendar to keep clearer track of group and private shoots at the outdoor range to prevent conflicts.
    • Having some issues with no spam and few communications; Kendra to look into spam filter settings.
  • NAP Program (Dave) – Requested update to membership payment form with name for member being paid for.
  • Treasurer (Helena) – Only big expense recently is for the new butts and judge’s stand.
    • Review of rent costs vs. membership payments.
    • Discussion of butt cost and potential for sponsorship of butts.
  • Mary – Nothing to report.
  • Equipment (George) – Two more weeks of current course. Club bows selling well.
  • JOP (Brad) – JOP doing well, some competitors in MICA. Bradley’s last meeting with the board for now. Board thanked for his contributions and hope to see him back as a member someday.
  • Range (Greg) – Water rising very high at range but all butts up and running, everything working well. Judge stand is in process of construction. New locks nearly completed.
  • Target (Rick) – Most recent tournament went well with new butts in place. Next tournament March 6 (regional indoors) and March 20.
  • Al – Final touches done on new bylaws, will be distributed at next meeting.
  • Website (Kendra) – Followed up with Helena about viewing problems with site calendar. Issue has not reoccurred and worked fine last time she viewed it.
  • President (Jarrod) – JOP kids going to the MICA in Cowichan.

7. Business Arising

  • MICA/Regional Indoor – MICA happening in Duncan, Regional Indoors is March 6. Announcements out on website and social media.
  • Permanent Butts – Done.
  • Funding Sub Committee – Tabled.
  • Insurance For Returning Guests – If coaching/teaching for the club and not for yourself can have five times insurance for same student.
  • Judges Stand – Being constructed. Likely to have work party in early April, by the 17th at least.
  • NAP – Taken care of.
  • Shooting Times – Will be updated.
  • Mental Clinics – First workshop on Feb 22nd went well with good feedback. Another scheduled for Feb 27th.
  • Archery Foundation – Contribution made, should get coin in a few months.
  • Eliminations Tournament – All designed and submitted to key contributors. Criteria and schedule now finalized. Date still to be decided.

8. New Business

  • Minutes (Details) – Discussion on the minutes as presented on the website. Kendra to research minutes presentation standards for Canadian non-profit groups.
  • Coaching Clinic / Vikes – Jarrod approached to organize another coaching clinic, likely will take place near the end of March at the Commonwealth.
  • BOD Functions & Responsibilities – Discussion of statements on general board function and structure in club bylaws. Volunteer orientation/board welcome document to be reviewed for next meeting.
  • Equipment User Fees – Discussion of ratio of user equipment fees to amount of risk/damage to equipment and work involved in using range. Additional discussion of instructor fees, lesson fees, and drop-in fees. Instructor and equipment fees pricing to go back to subcommittee for reconsideration.
    • Additional discussion of club’s end goals in offering archery lessons via the Commonwealth.
  • Password Protected Website Areas – Board documents to be placed behind board-only password protected area, and board minutes behind members-only password protected area.
  • Meeting Timing – Proposal of implementing a timer to keep board meetings on track. Kendra will discuss with Jarrod.
  • Archery Canada Membership Info Site – Brief review of new system for tournament score history, membership information, and other details for club members.
  • Tents At The Range – Currently borrowing tents; all club-owned ones are out of order. Discussion of acquiring more for the club or continuing to borrow.
  • Lockers – Discussion of locks on lockers in range containers. Greg to purchase some.

9. Disbursements for Approval

  • Dave for JOP, NAP, and Commonwealth
  • Greg for garbage disposal
  • Brad for JOP
  • George for group lessons, butt orders, and equipment
  • M Kendra, 2nd George – Carried

10. Time And Place Of Next Meeting

March 14th 2016 6:30pm at Saanich Commonwealth Place, Arbutus Room.

11. For The Good Of The Association

Members gave positive statements on the club.

12. Adjournment

Meeting adjourned at 9:10pm.

Leave a Reply