BECOME A MEMBER OF VICTORIA BOWMEN

BOD Meeting Minutes: January 2016

Minutes Board of Directors Meeting January 18, 2016

1. Call To Order

Meeting was called to order by the President at the Arbutus Room of Saanich Commonwealth Place at 7:02pm.

2. In Attendance

Al Wills, Mary Wills, Bev Somers, Bruce Somers, Helena Myllyniemi, Larry Gagnon, Rick Ellis, George Trattner, Jarrod Ball, Kendra Savich, Dave Ball, James Collett, Maurna Davidson, Bradley Clements, Greg Birtwistle.

  • Regrets: Matthew Lange

3. Chairman’s Opening Remarks

Happy 2016! Nice to see a full house. The turkey shoot went well, thanks to Maurna, Helena, and Vessa for organizing it.

4. Correspondence

  • BC Societies Act is going to change their site to make it easier to conduct and fill out surveys online by October 28, 2016. The club will submit organization bylaws at that time.
  • Metchosin Farmers Institution sent an email mentioning their Arts Through The Ages event on their grounds on the fourth weekend in June, and asking whether the club would be interested in going over modern archery equipment and techniques. Let Jarrod know if interested in participating and donating time. Located behind the municipal hall in Metchosin, by the fire hall.
  • SMUS student trying to start an archery club but don’t have the means for it, asking if they could rent or make an arrangement with us to use the range. We can’t help them unless they join the club due to insurance and land ownership issues. We have a student rate already for club members. If they want to start a club they could also go to the BC Archers Association and register that way. There’s a chance their insurance might work on our grounds but no one is sure. SMUS does have a gym and large field, but no butts or equipment. Best to offer them group lessons? Jarrod will contact them to ask about their insurance situation.
  • Assessment came, same as it was last year.

5. Approval Of The Minutes Of The Last Meeting

7 December 2015, as posted on the website. M Rick, 2nd Bruce carried.

6. Reports

  • Around the room order:
  • NAP Program (Dave) – Drop-in of last month was slow, starting now it’s a bit closer to back to normal. So far working great, NAP on Thursday nights is slowing down some, unsure if we should continue it. Are getting a few people out then for tryouts, but also drop-ins which isn’t really the intent of NAP. Kendra will take down the mention of Thursday drop-ins on the website.
  • Bruce – Nothing to report.
  • Bev – Nothing to report.
  • Lessons (James) – Group requests are slow but are coming in. Not sure what’s going on with the lesson fee structure or when that’s going to go up on the website. Still not clear on what percentage is going to instructors but should at least get prices on the website. Didn’t finalize last time because of issues determining insurance and James having to leave.
  • Target (Rick) – First tournament was Jan 3rd, 15 people shooting, great weather for January. Really good discussion about an elimination tournament. Judging training registration being done with Helena and Tim Bilyk. Change in tournament schedule from March 13 to March 20. Kendra will update on the site calendar. One of the qualifiers for the Canadian Olympic team is going to come to February tournament to try to get scores to place, so would like to request that if anyone’s in the downtown area that they can pick her up and bring her to the tournament.
  • Range (Greg) – Range is doing good, getting lots of outdoor shooters but doing a lot of damage to butts so might be doing more repairs than we’d like. Looks like someone was shooting an airsoft pellet gun at the butts. Also someone backed into the gate and had to be tow-trucked out so may want to lay down some logs at the front.
  • Equipment (George) – Classes started the other day, 60 on one, 12 on the other.
  • JOP (Brad) – 4 kids in the BC Games from here, Jarrod’s been poking them and they’ve been getting some good training. Going to be away for a couple of months in Europe and working out of town starting in March, so in talks with Jarrod to see about having someone step in to take his place. Anyone interested in picking up a coaching position or experience should contact him or Jarrod.
  • Social (Maurna) – Nothing to report.
  • Membership (Larry) – 112 members for 2016 as of today, about par for the course for this time of year.
  • Mary – Nothing to report.
  • Al – Wants to make clear that sexual harassment is when a person uses their influence as an instructor or a coach or other position to encourage sexual favours. Inappropriate touching and comments should be nipped in the bud immediately but are not the same thing.
  • Website (Kendra) – Not much going on with the site, needs to get the MailChimp template going for new members. Helena ran into issues along with one member in being unable to view tournaments on calendar, but Kendra couldn’t reproduce. Asked for more details if it happens again.
  • JOP (Jarrod) – JOP things going good. We were granted 5 athletes to go to the games and got 2 of the wildcards for all of BC. Jarrod and Maurna will be going as coach and chaperone. Participants reimbursed their membership costs.
  • Treasurer (Helena) – We’re back in the black. Got money from Saanich and membership money via Paypal. Kendra going to take down merchandise page since not worth keeping it up.

7. Business Arising

  • Instructional Rates Review – Question of percentage for instructors when teaching members with their own equipment, and insurance for repeat non-member students. Jarrod proposed breakdown to the group. Will be put on the site: Small groups (4-8) $90 non-members, $60 club members; large groups (9-16) $180 non-members, $120 club members. M Dave, 2nd Brad and Larry carried.
  • Social Events – Christmas event has come and gone. Maybe a mixer for the transition to outdoor shooting, going to do another work party.
  • Bylaw Amendments – Tabled until September.
  • MICA/Regional Indoor – All coordinated, we are now hosting the Regional Indoor.
  • Club Bows For Sale – Jarrod sold 3 bows so far, George sold 2, 3 left to sell. It’s working so far. Jarrod has been initialing the bottom riser with his initials, can remove the mark when it comes back to the club. Takes 8 bows out of our stock, so if we run short let George know to order more or bring new ones in. Currently fine with the bows available so won’t cycle the new ones in yet.
  • Permanent Butts At Range – About to go out within the next week or so.
  • Combination Locks – New locks on the steel containers, haven’t done anything with the combos. Will reprogram them with new combination.

8. New Business

  • Expenses – Any time we submit a receipt for expenses, it needs to be an actual original receipt, not a handwritten one. Don’t want to make it a motion as it’s already a policy but definitely needs to be done. Going to have an official hours form drafted up for instructor use to be put on the site.
  • Scorecards for 900 – All done.
  • Coaching Clinic/Coaches for UVic Vikes – We’ve been asked to organize a coaching clinic to help teach some coaches for UVic so they can have their own archery club at their facilities. Salt Spring also has 3 members who want to become coaches, and a few in our own club. Looking at one happening in late March. Jarrod going to set dates. George will take care of UVic coaching in meantime.
  • Funding Sub-Committee – May be in a position where we have the opportunity to purchase some more space. May find ourselves in a position where we get some funding or a sponsor. The more money we have the more serious we’ll look about being able to manage ourselves as a club, so positing a sub-committee to work towards that goal and securing a stable property so that the club isn’t suddenly left floating without an outdoor range: Rick, Greg, Helena, Jarrod.
  • Judges Stand – As we get more and more archers on the line and the look of a busy summer, thinks it would be useful to construct a small judges’ stand at the end of the line, just big enough for two people, preferably with a roof or umbrella stand and bolted so that it can be disassembled. Bruce going to take on design with input from Rick and Greg. May need permission for putting up but won’t be permanent so not likely to be an issue. $500-700. M Rick, 2nd Brad carried.
  • Judging Certification – Email request from last meeting when Al contacted Darcy. Judges still have to go to provincial championships first, either indoor or outdoor; what he initially told Jarrod was incorrect.
  • Fred Usher (Canadian Archery Foundation Book of Remembrance) – Al works on it in Archery Canada to give grants to Canadian archers as a funding option for all shooters (including 3D and compound). Book of Remembrance has been a big contributor to it as a collection of those who passed on who have made a large contribution to archery. Currently electronic but looking at self-publishing a paper book in volumes. Fred Usher isn’t in there, could get him in for minimum donation, but if make it slightly higher will get Foundation medallion. Motion to pay the higher donation from the club to get Fred into the Book. M Rick, 2nd Mary. Jarrod proposes a more significant contribution in memory of all he’s done for the club, but the issue of setting a precedent. Could always donate more at a later date. Original motion carried.
  • Mental Game Clinic – Someone said archery was 95% mental and haven’t seen any mental training so far, so Rick discussed some resources on it and put together a 2 hour clinic on the mental side of archery with a diagnostic sheet and mental score card for people to use to self-assess their shooting. Going to offer to the club to get some feedback on. Current date of February 2nd in Aquatic classroom downstairs at the Commonwealth. 7:30 – 9:30pm. Want registration to have an idea of who’s coming; want a low attendance to keep it personal with mini case studies. Jarrod proposed registration fee of $20 to ensure attendance and get some funds for the club. Already have a large number of people interested, going to report on it at the next meeting and if it goes well perhaps run it again.
  • Elimination Tournament – At last tournament was a lot of discussion between Rick, Vessa, and a number of others on the idea that on the west coast there aren’t opportunities for people to experience what it’s like at a big tournament where there’s a qualification round and then a big elimination shoot-off. Senior men’s recurve could get the largest attendance, so the plan is to run in conjunction with a regular tournament, with a morning qualifier and afternoon elimination round with a round robin.
    • Don’t want people to just shoot two rounds and just go home, so every archer would shoot six matches in both the elimination and round robin. Need six butts and would be running six matches simultaneously through the whole thing. Four matches for the 8 to qualify assuming there’s 12 people. If a woman wants to shoot in with them that’s fine, just going to be recurve 7 meters to simplify things. When done will reset the field.
    • Ryan is confident that at least 4 archers would come from Vancouver for this, probably more, so not likely to be difficult to get people to show up. Looking at May, but might do it two or three times throughout the season. If compound archers want to shoot a second 720 while this is going on would be difficult, but no other concerns.
    • Consideration of some kind of reward for the winners, medals or something similar. Could make it a social with a gallery behind to give the experience of a proper tournament with an audience.
  • NAP – NAP has been really slow, discussing with James that there isn’t much point in both of them being on top of it every Thursday so going to reduce it to just one with the other only jumping in if it gets busy/a lot of requests. Can also direct people to Monday drop-ins.
  • Shooting Times – Al doesn’t feel that Sunday times are working, not many people shooting during supper time. Suggestion that JOP time be moved back a bit to make adult club shooting a bit earlier, around 3:15pm. Also the suggestion of putting away targets in stages, letting late shooters hang out with a few butts. Will put in the newsletter.
  • Workshops – Have been getting a lot of feedback that people enjoy workshops and would like to see more of them. Question of whether they should be organized by club members or coordinated through Social Convener. To be addressed at a later meeting.

9. Disbursements for Approval

  • Greg for locks and keys
  • Brad for JOP, fun shoots, etc.
  • Jarrod for JOP and driving
  • Rick for line paint, range stuff, tournament registration
  • Dave for drop-in and NAP
  • James for drop-in and NAP
  • George for scorecards and instruction fees
  • Al for Canadian Archery Foundation
  • M Mary, 2nd Al – Carried

10. Time And Place Of Next Meeting

February 15 2016 7:00pm at Saanich Commonwealth Place, Arbutus Room.

11. For The Good Of The Association

Members gave positive statements on the club.

12. Adjournment

Meeting adjourned at 9:10pm.

Leave a Reply