BECOME A MEMBER OF VICTORIA BOWMEN

BOD Meeting Minutes: December 2015

Minutes Board of Directors Meeting December 7, 2015

1. Call To Order

Meeting was called to order by the President at the Pacific Dogwood Room of Saanich Commonwealth Place at 7:03 pm.

2. In Attendance

Al Wills, Mary Wills, Bev Somers, Bruce Somers, Helena Myllyniemi, Rick Ellis, George Trattner, Jarrod Ball, Matthew Lange, Kendra Savich, Dave Ball, James Collett, Greg Birtwistle.

  • Regrets: Bradley Clements, Larry Gagnon, Maurna Davidson.

3. Chairman’s Opening Remarks

2016 and turkey shoot are coming up, which is exciting. Room for the Turkey Shoot is booked. Larry and Maurna send their regrets. We currently have 216 members to date though most haven’t paid for 2016 member fees yet.

4. Correspondence

  • No correspondence

5. Approval Of The Minutes Of The Last Meeting

16 November 2015, as posted on the website. M Bruce, 2nd Al carried.

6. Reports

  • Around the room order:
  • Website (Kendra) – Nothing new with the site, has the new proposed bylaws up for review. Still needs to put MailChimp template together for new club members.
  • Range (Greg) – Did a walkaround at the range today, hasn’t changed the locks yet. Wants the key list from Al so can notify all that they’re being changed. Frank Perry repaired the weed eater, bills are with Helena.
  • Lessons (James) – Drafted up private lessons doc to go over in business arising. Drop-in going well, NAP has been slow, hopes he’s still of use. Has been having a few people but it would be nice to have more who want to improve their technique. Kendra will remind members of program in next newsletter. Suggestion of putting a sign on the table letting people know that it’s available. Some people don’t realize they need the extra assistance? The club moves people to 18 m pretty quick, maybe need to hold new archers back longer on target distance.
    • Put up notice at drop-in encouraging people to join for NAP. If we have a lot of keen people on Monday let’s get them into the club, encourage them with more shooting time.
    • Dave states people showing up to drop-in on regular basis have all been given the club brochure and some are definitely considering joining in the new year. Is the thought that it could be reassuring for them to know they’d be working with the same instructors.
  • Mary – Meeting refreshments should be arranged at the end of each meeting so we don’t have multiple people bringing treats. Will have more for business arising.
  • Target (Rick) – All news for arising business.
  • Equipment (George) – Ordered 8 bows within the price limit, they have arrived and are available for sale. Two butts have been started, not done yet because waiting on weather. Two weeks left on current course, next starts in the new year on the 17th. Previous years that upcoming course would be full with a waiting list, this year have 32 slots and only 6 filled. Thoughts that drop-in might fill it. It’s been a source of revenue and membership over the years so need to keep an eye on it.
  • Al – Got a hold of Shared Services BC; his contact retired, tracked down his replacement and was told we definitely aren’t on the shortlist for sewage treatment. This fiscal is until the end of March 2016 – which probably means we’re OK till next fiscal (end March 2017), but she didn’t know anything about what was on the file at all.
  • Junior (Matt) – Toilets will be done Saturday.
  • Bev – Nothing to report.
  • Bruce – Nothing to report.
  • NAP Program (Dave) – At this point had 106 participants on Monday drop-ins for November alone. Tonight is the last night of drop-in, not sure what January is going to look like. At least 20% repeats. A lot of students, had a crash in attendance last week when finals started. At least a half dozen who have been to about 80% of them. Some who have been to at least 6, comparitive to cost of club membership.
  • Treasurer (Helena) – Nothing new other than payment from Saanich. A little behind but should have more money coming in next week as lesson payments come in. In new year should have a good number of courses, will just keep on trucking.
  • JOP (Jarrod) – JOP has been busy, 7 kids attended the BC Winter Game Trials with very high scores. Had 4 kids who had never any sort of competition before come out to the trial, 2 did well, other 2 got experience and conducted selves well. Should hear team selections in the next couple of weeks.

7. Business Arising

  • Instructional Rates Revision – Wanted to make it simple and straightforward so easy to digest and eliminate any misinformation.
    • When private lessons given to club members with own equipment there is no contribution going towards the club, should have that changed so at least a little bit goes in for facility provision etc.? Coached member not breaking up the butts any more than they would otherwise, but instructor is using the club as a platform for offering services.
    • Expect to be offering lessons to non-club members as a whole, but still something to be considered, especially because can only offer one lesson on the range under the guest insurance. Could offer them long lessons that are several hours long to work within that limitation, but would otherwise have to charge extra for insurance, and still not long enough to offer the same amount of instruction as a full course.
    • Insurance is meant to cover club members if we cause damage to something else while shooting or teaching. Birthday parties and programs booked through Saanich Rec are covered by their insurance. Private lessons are not. Maybe have them book private lessons through Saanich Rec?
    • Compound lessons only available to participants with their own equipment. Headings for All Members and All Non-Members to separate sections. Will need to implement it and see how it goes from here on out.
    • Some questions over honoraria for standard lessons but already discussed and finalized about six meetings ago.
  • Social Events – Maurna not present.
  • Drop-in Funds – We get 55%, Saanich gets 45% and they pay us back based on that. We’re making pretty good money on it so far.
  • Bylaw Amendments – Most people have reviewed job positions, will confirm September AGM of next year.
    • Question of whether Targets or Equipment director should be keeping inventory and placing orders for targets given club structure. Originally gave it away from Equipment position because was difficult to keep the numbers synced. Rick doesn’t really care who does it but doesn’t seem very consistent.
  • MICA/Regional Indoor – Went to Cowichan’s AGM and talked to Darcy, main question they had was how many people usually brought in by MICA for setup etc., about same as they get for the Regional (about 25-30) so a bit of a wash. If less people than usual for MICA and more for Regional may revisit. If Cowichan has large turnout can give us a call and make arrangements for handling. Hoping club members and JOP will go out to shoot for MICA.
    • Judging arrangements developing for new year, may get someone else to help with registration. Overall looking good.
  • Club Bows For Sale – Bows have arrived, going to sell what we have first and not the new ones just bought; will cycle new ones in. Bows we already have have been in use for about 7 years.
    • Got 8 sets of bows. Set includes strings, sights, 8 sets of 6 complete arrows, arm guards, finger tabs, finger slings. New complete bow on its own costs about $233. Selling old bows for $150, so costing the club about ~$80 to exchange old bows for new ones. A bit expensive but with the hopes of getting a new member in the process.
    • Will sell personal kit of arrows, guards, etc. for $100, cost us about $90 new, so won’t be making money on sales alone.
    • Question of who’s organizing it; is all equipment but may be bit much for George to take on. James, Dave, George, or Helena would be best candidates, maybe Jarrod for JOP kids.
    • Arrows are light and uncut, George will need draw length to cut them. Club not buying arrows or personal kit back, only bows. Long arrows, 29” or so, could be safer to provide since most won’t be shooting with clicker anyway.
    • Nobody in lessons has claim on bows so selling shouldn’t be a problem.
    • Want to write up and put on website and social media, have a handout, put in newsletter; just state that all bows available during lessons are up for sale for $150. Direct those interested to their instructor. Both right and left hand available.
    • Should have some kind of marking or identification to show that a bow has been sold or is still with the club.
  • Permanent Butts At Range – Going to happen after the new year. Won’t be ready for January 3rd shoot, will likely be ready for February.
  • Locks – Tabled for now.

8. New Business

  • Turkey Shoot Arrangements – Times for the Turkey Shoot is for 2:15 to 4:45 (have gym until 5:45). For prizes won’t have real turkeys, will have vouchers (Thrifty Foods most likely). Maurna will take care of it. $15 max for a voucher, 1 for each target? In past high score wins one, low score wins one, rest are drawn or on hidden prize shoot.
    • Targets: ping pong ball off the vacuum, balloon spinner target, card shooting, Vessa made marshmallow bow, used to shoot out a candle, had one for bouncing blunt arrows off into a garbage bin, toy bow for shooting plastic bottles, had a pendulum once, Bruce has target with discs that flip when hit. Organizer will choose from list for about 7-8 stations.
    • Every station is a turkey, and every high score wins it.
    • Too much for one person, have to strike committee to handle in less than a week. Helena has all the joke scoring systems from last year.
    • To encourage all members to come out make all turkeys a draw instead so not as weighted to top archers? Give out other prizes for top skill scores. Would only need about 6 then.
    • Have turkeys, turkey stuffing, eggnog, decorations, cranberry sauce.
    • Helena, Mary, and Kendra will all show up Thursday to help organize things. Maurna will be notified.
    • Kendra will send out Newsletter in next day or two giving members details and encouraging people to bring potluck. No crockpots, needs to all be small finger food and appies. No RSVP, people just bring whatever.
  • Score Cards for 900 – We need 900s, Rick gave George card stock available on the website, George will order. 1000 or so would be ideal.
  • Final Tournament Schedule – Tournament schedule was finalized, one change from the draft: June shoot moved from the 5th to the 19th to avoid conflict with the Cowichan Hellhole. Schedule sent to Kendra for putting on the website and club calendar. No conflict with Maple Ridge et al, one conflict with Malahat’s 3D shoot and Regional Indoors. Recommended they move it back a weekend but no finalization yet, could wind up on top of March 13th tournament. Other shoot dates all coordinate pretty nicely, all on Al’s calendar.
    • For judging January and February Helena, March April May are Mary, June is Helena. Will add senior qualifier on June 19th.
  • Judge Training – Rick spoke with Jarrod and Darcy at judge clinic and came up with proposal for two apprentice training slots for each 720 at all our shoots, so four slots at each tournament. Apprentices actually run shoot with coaching, not just watching, so would need to alternate. Could potentially have just one in the morning and one in the afternoon.
    • Only capable apprentices at the moment are those who were at the course, so only need one morning and one afternoon slot. Judges in training (club judges?) will be sent email informing them of the slots so people coming from up island can register with Rick to shoot while still getting judge experience.
    • Will pay judges in training half of pay for fully qualified judge.
    • Preference for Victoria vs Cowichan will be on case-by-case basis.
  • Sexual Harassment Policy – President of the Canadian Olympics had to resign on sexual harassment charges, and Al is giving talks at every meeting he attends to address the issue. We want to make sure that we do every thing we can to make sure that every single person in the club can shoot without fearing anything inappropriate. We need to ensure the club has some internal policy for dealing with it – police checks etc. all need to be reinforced. Need to make sure we don’t have any Sheldon Kennedys in archery.
    • Need a policy that’s easy to find, has several options for contact etc.
  • Board Email – Kendra proposed a board@ email address that sends to all members; unanimously decided that it wouldn’t be any more useful than just adding individual emails.
  • Goodies For Next Meeting – Jarrod will bring.

9. Disbursements for Approval

  • George for Equipment
  • James for Lessons
  • Dave for NAP
  • Frank Perry for Weed Eater
  • Al for Tournament
  • M George, 2nd Bruce – Carried

10. Time And Place Of Next Meeting

January 18th 2016 7:00pm at Saanich Commonwealth Place, Arbutus Room.

11. For The Good Of The Association

Members gave positive statements on the club.

12. Adjournment

Meeting adjourned at 8:45pm.

Leave a Reply