BECOME A MEMBER OF VICTORIA BOWMEN

BOD Meeting Minutes: November 2015

Minutes Board of Directors Meeting November 16, 2015

1. Call To Order

Meeting was called to order by the President at the Arbutus Room of Saanich Commonwealth Place at 7:06 PM.

2. In Attendance

Al Wills, Mary Wills, Bev Somers, Bruce Somers, Helena Myllyniemi, Larry Gagnon, Rick Ellis, George Trattner, Jarrod Ball, Matthew Lange, Kendra Savich, Dave Ball, James Collett, Maurna Davidson.

  • Regrets: Bradley Clements
  • Guests: Greg Birtwistle

3. Chairman’s Opening Remarks

Stated that the last few months have been exciting and he feels that he’s filling his shoes well; nothing’s blown up yet!

4. Correspondence

  • WorkSafe BC rates information for 2016

5. Approval Of The Minutes Of The Last Meeting

27 October 2015, as posted on the website. M Mary, 2nd Al carried.

6. Reports

  • Around the room order:
  • Website (Kendra) – The club website has been successfully moved to the new server, and new board member email addresses are being set up to streamline communication.
  • Membership (Larry) – Currently 215 paid members in the club, including both those paid to the end of 2015 and those paid into next year. Has updated the introductory and general club brochures and printed out new copies. Going to work with Kendra to similarly improve the welcome email for new members.
  • Al – Land transition process is still ongoing; tried to get an update on what’s happening and found his contact has left, so reestablishing that. Took over toilet service oversight from Bev; they were pumped last week and so won’t be done again this month.
  • Bruce – Waiting until the new year to block out the lane on the range.
  • Bev – Nothing to report.
  • Target (Rick) – No tournaments at the moment but working with Vancouver and Maple Ridge to arrange next year’s tournaments in a way that allows archers to attend as many as possible with no conflicts. Newly revised dates will enable shooters to attend the Canada Cup, etc. There are 25 opportunities total for 720 shooting in Victoria, Burnaby, and Maple Ridge.
  • Junior & Toilets (Matt) – Toilets cleaned this morning.
  • Equipment (George) – Lesson courses finished on the 1st of November, new ones begin on the 8th. One of the upcoming courses is fully loaded while the other is down for the first time in two years. The waiting list has been eliminated. Going to look into whether Monday night drop-ins are affecting the intake for lessons. If both benefit club membership then it makes no difference, but need to make sure that that is actually the case. Club currently has arrangements to be paid for supplying supervisors for drop-in, but not for equipment rental.
    • New score cards are in; originally wanted 500, but ordered 1000 for only a fractionally higher cost. Wound up with 2000 instead. All are indoor 300s on heavy letter stock.
  • Lessons (James) – Has been given the Instructional Rates Committee’s notes on proposed new lesson costs. Going to review, type up, and run by the committee again before having them placed on website.
  • NAP Program (Dave) – Not seeing a lot of carryover from courses into usage of the NAP; program is mostly being used by established archers and club members on Thursdays. Needs to indicate that these members should request coaching when they want it rather than risking NAP instructors sticking their noses in where they aren’t wanted.
    • Drop-in nights are taking off, often full up with 20-21 attendees now. Is encouraging people to segue into lessons but otherwise needs a better transition process for getting people equipment and into the club. The opportunity to get new club members is there, it just needs to be capitalized on. Should ask about compensation for equipment use as is going through a lot of it; going to call Adam about it.
  • Social (Maurna) – Definitely going to have the Turkey Shoot for December, and also considering a non-shooting party or gathering for club members. For Turkey Shoot will make sure that no one can win more than one turkey this year.
  • Outdoor Range (Greg) – The steel containers (not the fence) and outdoor range have been left unlocked twice now.
  • Treasurer (Helena) – Sent payments to BC as a bunch of membership payments came in at once; billing is done but money hasn’t come in yet for lessons. Royal Oak School is restarting on Thursday and other schools are showing interest. Homeschoolers are also in again.
  • JOP (Jarrod) – JOP has been busy, averaging 20 kids with 6 interested in the trials for Winter Games on January 29 in Cowichan.

7. Business Arising

  • Instructional Rates Review – Changing private lesson rates based on whether participants are club members and have their own equipment. For group lessons, want to encourage people to join by eliminating overhead fees for club members. New prices proposed for non-club members with no equipment, club members with no equipment, club members with equipment, and non-club members with equipment.
    • New rates will be sent to James and sorted out by the committee.
  • Social Events – Considering more events where bows are left at home in order to bring membership closer together; looking at reserving a restaurant/Legion etc. for Christmas.
  • Range Director – Greg has offered to take up the board position and will be coordinating work and maintenance on the outdoor range.
  • Bylaw Updates – New bylaws have been done up, will be passed to Kendra to put on the website for review. Final versions will be passed next September at the 2016 AGM.
  • Score Cards – Done. Need more 900s by February in 45 lb card stock and the same colours.
  • Email Addresses – Now that the site is on the new server, Kendra will set up club email addresses that forward to the respective board members.
  • MICA – Date was set for March 6 but wound up conflicting with Canadian Regional Indoors. Going to ask Cowichan baout taking the MICA while we take the Regionals to better balance out the schedule and attendance.
  • Indoor Shooting Control – Jarrod made announcements at last Thursday’s shoot for members to set up targets before assembling bows and equipment. Going to keep rotating the whistle and hopes to improve end timing, acknowledging that we shoot really quick. Suggested bringing out the clock to enforce a 2 minute shooting time, but the main issue seems to be just making sure shooting is relaxed with the proper whistling. Whistle is in the container next to the guest book.
    • Should clarify in newsletter that setup starts right at 7:30pm even if the karate class is still inside.

8. New Business

  • User Fees – Generally enough money coming in from private and group lessons but JOP and drop-ins not properly covered; need to make sure that the money coming in covers equipment and facility use. Drop-in instructor rates should be paid to the club and then remunerated to the instructors, but we haven’t received anything yet. Will contact Adam.
    • Having some problems with only being able to send people in need of equipment to George, which is a bit of a conflict of interest. Proposed ordering bows within the club and selling them to members, providing members with money back if bows are returned in good condition within certain time period. Consider giving away a few arrows with each bow, as well as selling tabs and arm guards. Will be offered by word of mouth only and not advertised on UsedVic or website. Receipts will not be used.
    • George to get price on 10 assorted bows with arrows and sights. M Al 2nd Larry. — Carried.
  • Range – Would be nice to have another permanent butt at 70 because it makes tournament setup easier and we have more members shooting 70 on recurve.
    • Considered moving one of the 50s back but overall not too expensive to add a new one. New one to be made, M Rick 2nd Bruce — Carried. Amended to 2 stands to be made with hooks on back for bags.
    • Need to re-key containers and outdoor range. Issues with containers being left open but gates closed. Proposed to get entirely new locks and all members with keys added to list with their email address. Passed to Greg to handle. M Rick 2nd Greg — Carred.
    • Greg needs hard copy of range’s environment assessment.

9. Disbursements for Approval

  • George for lessons and scorecards
  • James for lessons and NAP
  • Jarrod for JOP
  • M Al, 2nd Larry – Carried

10. Time And Place Of Next Meeting

December 7 2015 7pm at Saanich Commonwealth Place, Arbutus Room.

11. For The Good Of The Association

Members gave positive statements on the club.

12. Adjournment

Meeting adjourned at 8:41pm.

Leave a Reply