BECOME A MEMBER OF VICTORIA BOWMEN

BOD Meeting Minutes: October 2015

Minutes Board of Directors Meeting October 26, 2015

1. Call To Order

Meeting was called to order by the President at the Arbutus Room of Saanich Commonwealth Place at 7:35 PM.

2. In Attendance

Al Wills, Mary Wills, Bev Somers, Bruce Somers, Helena Myllyniemi, Larry Gagnon, Rick Ellis, George Trattner, Jarrod Ball, Matthew Lange, Kendra Savich, Dave Ball.

  • Regrets: Bradley Clements, James Collett, Maurna Davidson.

3. Chairman’s Opening Remarks

Welcoming everyone to the meeting, happy to be heading his first board meeting as president and to see everyone here.

4. Correspondence

  • Received a thank you letter from Cowichan Bowmen for assistance with Hellhole event

5. Approval Of The Minutes Of The Last Meeting

17 August 2015, as posted on the website. M Kendra, 2nd Bruce carried.

6. Reports

  • Around the room order:
  • NAP Program (Dave) — Thursday NAP has been going okay but not a lot present. Monday drop-ins have been 8-10 people on a regular basis, a lot of repeats (3 who have been to every one, a couple who have stayed for the past couple weeks). Should work out well as potential new members to the club. Dave pleased with progress so far. Everyone seems happy all around, seems likely it will continue in January once the September-December session has ended.
  • Lessons (George) — Not much to tell with equipment. Lessons going well, classes full. Next lesson starts in 2 weeks time and already full with a waiting list. Only problem is with target faces, may need to share 60s or 80s with JOP. 80s currently used most outdoors with JOP while 60s only used for limited shoots inside, so more available.
  • Membership (Larry) — 210 members as of today. Nothing else to report other than a jersey order slipping through the cracks.
  • Mary — Mary and Al are grandparents again. The board passed on their congratulations.
  • Al — Nothing new on the outdoor range property. Been in touch with CRD about .75 hectare Thetis Lake pistol range but playing telephone tag so having trouble catching up. Restoration is complete and money has been spent, but its use still hasn’t been decided. Been through 3 different levels of people and trying to get back to the ones he needs to. Lots of walking trails and parking at pistol range but berm is now gone. Nothing solid is going to happen with the outdoor range until the sewage treatment issue is sorted out.
  • Target (Rick) — Tournament on October 11 was well attended. 19-20 participants showed up, great weather, good way to end the year. Tournament schedule for next year presented in draft. Tried to avoid any overlaps with local 3D and major events. Clinic with George Ryalls last weekend went very well, everyone happy, lots of people present, including some younger shooters with their coaches. Plan to do another next year. New business about booking the gym for MICA. Ready to do membership draw for tournament.
  • Bruce — Nothing to report.
  • Bev — Nothing to report.
  • Website/Secretary (Kendra) – Site going well, nearly ready re-prepping the new server for the move-over. Move may temporarily disrupt any @victoriabowmen.com email addresses, will be in touch with account holders before the move to minimize any inconvenience. Recommended an auto-mailed introduction to the club for new members; Larry confirmed that one is already in place but would be happy to work with Kendra to upgrade it using MailChimp.
  • JOP (Jarrod) — JOP doing well, about half a dozen interested in trials for winter games.
  • Treasurer (Helena) – We are doing well, almost made $6000 this year since September. Money from Saanich for summer classes has come in and the end of the year should bring more money in from classes. Indoor range rent costs coming up, now paying for JOP time where before it was floated by Saanich. Have been in touch with teachers and home schoolers looking for lessons. We need a vice president to sign off on some business; Greg Fong may be interested in the position.
  • Junior (Matt) — Toilets done day before last 700/920, JOP going smooth. Going back to winter schedule for cleaning, which is every two months, occasionally once a month when busier. Will aim to time it for before tournaments since those are the busiest times.

7. Business Arising

  • Judging Clinic — Dates and location set, November 21 and 22, location is PISE. Board rooms being lent by PISE free of rent. Darcy Faulk will be running, 2 attendees already registered from Vancouver, some up island have expressed interest. Has been announced on club social media, website, BCAA channels, and will be in club newsletter. Is free clinic for members, $90 for non-members.
  • Instructional Rates — New solid rates have been set for private and group lessons; in the past was hit-and-miss and rates were left up to available instructors. Now only instructors authorized by the Instructional committee are allowed to provide lessons.
    • New rates: private lessons are $65/hour for 1 attendee, add $35/hour each onto that for up to 2 extra attendees. Groups lessons are $150/hr for 4-8 people & one instructor, $300/hr for 9+ people & 2 instructors. Fees will be levied on non-Archery Canada members to cover equipment etc. 10% for private lessons, 20% for group lessons, plus $10 equipment/facilities levy for supervised drop-ins. All fees are to cover cost of maintenance of equipment and facilities, and for honoraria to instructors for their time and expertise. This is not a for-profit endeavour.
    • All fees will now go directly to the club and then honoraria granted to instructor(s) by the club to streamline the process. If anyone wanted indoor lessons they would need to arrange it with Saanich Commonwealth then have it go through the board, and they would be on the Commonwealth’s insurance.
    • Private lessons: providing either a refresher or a grounding in basic target archery, recurve progressing to compound. Should mention that we only provide recurve type bows. “All required archery equipment will be provided” needs to be changed to “basic recurve archery equipment provided”.
    • May arrange and organize for new compound instructors, soliciting recommendation for compound equipment to acquire for the club.
    • Going to direct people to Lesson Coordinator as sole contact for private and group lesson organization to minimize conflicts and confusion; James appointed to take on the responsibility.
    • Rates draft will be sent to Lesson Coordinator for review and finalization before posting on site.
    • Jarrod, James, Dave, Helena (recurve, barebow), Bradley, George, Rick (compound) are currently available qualified instructors. Potentially also Vessa and Ian. Compound basics are more complicated as requires knowledge of a wide variety of bow setups. Want to keep it to people who have NCC(?) qualification.
    • Sergey and Rick currently listed as advanced instructors on website, would come down in favour of new structure.
    • Rates accepted and report to be amended, M Al, 2nd Mary carried.
  • Outdoor Range Coordinator — Invite Greg Birtwistle to next meeting as potential range coordinator, keep an eye out for alternatives. Would keep an eye on things, mow grass, clean up garbage, call work parties, and/or coordinate those responsibilities. Send out call for one in next newsletter, tell people to contact Jarrod. May take down site volunteer posting for it.

8. New Business

  • Turkey Shoot — Will be December 13th, 2:15 to 4:15 with hour left for cleanup. Will need to book Dogwood room for party treats.
  • Board Member Responsibilities — Making amendments to bylaws and structure of the board. Membership and JOP director up to date, PR director not, Equipment Director all right. Al to look over and bring amendments to next meeting.
    • Discussion of whether to reinstate Womens’ Director. Kendra expressed interest in taking on the duties with some assistance from Al.
  • Shipping container lock — New one has been acquired.
  • Garbage at the range — Going to be handled by Outdoor Range Director.
  • Shooting control at indoor range — Need to make sure at each club shoot that someone is assigned to whistle. Problems with people showing up late and taking too long to set up targets, pulling arrows while socializing, etc. Proposed putting late-run shooters on the right so those leaving early can put away their targets before going while others can continue to shoot.
  • Meeting times — Looking at Mondays at 7pm to accommodate Dave and James before drop-in.
  • Score Cards — Currently don’t have any 300 score cards. Arranged to order more.
  • Email Addresses — Want to have new @victoriabowmen.com addresses set up for all regular board members to simplify communication. Kendra asked for list and will set up upon new server move.
  • MICA — Checking availability for weekends around spring break. Graduation certificates done up for 900 graduates.
  • Membership Draw — Every time you shoot a tournament your name goes into a draw to win one of two free club memberships (not including BCAA insurance). Can’t win two years in a row and life members and non-members can’t win, so winning odds are high. This year’s winners: Ralph Clark, Will Korvemaker.

9. Disbursements for Approval

  • George for equipment
  • Dave for NAP and drop-in
  • M Dave, 2nd Rick – Carried

10. Time And Place Of Next Meeting

November 16 2015 7:00pm at Saanich Commonwealth Place, Arbutus Room.

11. For The Good Of The Association

Members gave positive statements on the club.

12. Adjournment

Meeting adjourned at 9:34pm.

 

One Comment

Leave a Reply