BECOME A MEMBER OF VICTORIA BOWMEN

BOD Meeting Minutes: April 2015

Minutes Board of Directors Meeting April 20, 2015

1. Call To Order

Meeting was called to order by the President at the Arbutus Room of Saanich Commonwealth Place at 7:30 PM

2. In Attendance

Al & Mary Wills, Bev & Bruce Somers, Helena Myllyniemi, Diana Kaun, Larry Gagnon, Rick Ellis, George Trattner, Jarrod Ball, Matthew Lange, Bradley Clements, Dave Ball, Kendra Savich and, James Collett.

  • Regrets: Madeleine Lee and Tracy Klat

3. Chairman’s Opening Remarks

Thank you all for coming out on such a beautiful evening.

4. Correspondence

  • Worksafe BC letter changing our registration levels.
  • Still getting many emails concerning lessons etc.
  • Correspondence from Self Design Org concerning ‘home school’ lessons and the requirement for Criminal Record checks.
  • Al called Kim Emena CEO at View Royal to discuss if we are causing any concerns in View Royal his answer was positive.
  • Al also called Shared Service BC about our ‘licence’ with the Province, he confirmed that there are no issues with us and no plans for the property other than their wish to move the property to the View Royal ‘umbrella’. He confirmed we are no longer under the PCC.

5. Approval Of The Minutes Of The Last Meeting

16 March ‘15, as distributed and posted on the website. M Dave 2nd Larry Carried.

6. Reports

  • Around the room order:
  • Secretary (Mary) – No report.
  • JOP (Jarrod) – 3 new members – moving outdoors this next Sunday.
  • JOP (Bradley) – 6 JOPs attended the Provincials in Cowichan several personal best – still awaiting results.
  • NAP Program (Dave/James) – 6-8 archers every week, program working well.
  • Lessons (James) – No report.
  • Lessons (George) – Running 2 courses, finishing Apr 26 already has a waiting list, still indoors until 21 June.
  • Junior (Matt) – No report.
  • Tournaments (Rick) – Tournament last Sunday – 23 people, 9 guests, some from Vancouver and Toronto (Paul Kim), some personal bests were shot. Will probably not see the VR crowd any more this season due to date conflicts.
  • Bruce – Very successful work party about 20 members attended, great work by the cubs who trimmed back the blackberries around the fence, all work was done by lunch time, and he took a full load of garbage to the dump. All the memorial trees are doing well. Diana picked up more than a dozen needles and deposited them in our new ‘sharps’ storage in the Eastern container.
  • Website (Kendra) – After discussions with Al is going ahead with a new hosting provider for the VB Site.
  • Bev – Work party April 11th, BBQ for 20, some pop and juice left over in the locker, Helen donated doughnuts.
  • Membership (Larry) – 150 members as of today, will discuss the survey under New Business.
  • Diana – No report.
  • Treasurer (Helena) – See financial statements still working on problematic billing from Saanich. Her lessons are going well, she is going to continue maintaining a schedule on the range.
  • Al showed the board a picture of a crossbow bolt, which is 16’ up a utility pole near the range, he pointed out that the way the arrow is pointing, it could not have come from our range.

7. Business Arising

  • Social Convenor – No action on this – suggestion of developing a job description and reposting.
  • Judge Clinic – TBA still in the talking stage.
  • Shirts – should be here this week.
  • Membership Survey – Larry led the Board through the results:
    • 46 Responses (probably mostly from active members)
    • 57% Recurve shooters remainder divided among compound and Barebow.
    • 57% said yes to doing tournaments
    • 69% they want to do more clinics and workshops
    • Quite a few comments on more social events / 47% would like refresher courses
    • Slightly more favour 720s over 900s
    • 57% prefer to pay by cheque
    • 37% would like a 3D and/or Field range.
    • Larry will send link to Al & Kendra for the next newsletter.
  • Gym doors – Saanich Recreation doesn’t want to put checker plate on the doors, they will repair and when replacement time comes, we will help.

8. New Business

  • Indoor Extension of Time – some members have asked to continue shooting indoors into May, Al will check if there is time available on Thursdays, Sunday is not required.
  • Range Improvements – Discussion on widening the range slightly to accommodate 2 butts on the East side, we can bring in < 200 cubic metres of fill without a permit. Bruce/Rick/George and Al will form a committee to look at our options.
    • M Dave/2nd Jarrod to spend up to $5000 to complete the landscaping.
  • Tag Archery – We had received communications from them just after our last meeting, so a link was sent to the Board members to consider. After discussion it was decided to ask them to make a presentation to one of our future meetings – Al will contact them and see what we can work out.
  • Senior Games – Colwood has expressed interest in bidding for the games (sometime before 2019) Al has contacted them informing them our expertise and equipment.
  • Criminal Record Checks – We have been contacted by Self Design, the arm of government that looks after grants for home schooling – Supervision of these children requires Criminal Record/Vulnerable Sector Checks – Al reiterated that these are required for all our instructors already.
  • BBQ Tank – Discussion on the purchase of another tank, Bruce advised that anyone who is going to use the club’s should bring along a spare.
  • Refresher courses – we will put notices in future newsletters and come up with a system for people to register, so we have enough to run them.
    • Jarrod will do recurve, Rick Compound, Hopefully Vesa will do a string making workshop, Dave will look into creating a workshop for moving from indoor to outdoor and purchasing new equipment.
  • Jeff Mckay – Jeff’s mother has just passed M Bruce/2nd Jarrod to donate $100 to the Arts Council in her name.

9. Disbursements for Approval

  • Dave Ball & James Collett for NAP
  • Bev & Bruce for Workparty
  • Bradley for JOP
  • M Jarrod/2nd Kendra – Carried

10. Time And Place Of Next Meeting

May 25, 2015 7:30PM at Saanich Commonwealth Place, Arbutus Room. Jarrod to bring the treats.

11. For The Good Of The Association

Members gave positive statements on the club.

12. Adjournment

Meeting adjourned at 9:20 PM.