BECOME A MEMBER OF VICTORIA BOWMEN

BOD Meeting Minutes: January 2015

Minutes Board of Directors Meeting January 19, 2015

1. Call To Order

Meeting was called to order by the President at the Arbutus Room of Saanich Commonwealth Place at 7:30 PM.

2. In Attendance

Al & Mary Wills, Helena Myllyniemi, Bev & Bruce Somers, George Trattner, Tracy Klat, Jarrod Ball, Diana Kaun, Matthew Lange, Bradley Clements, Larry Gagnon and Rick Ellis, James Collett.

  • Regrets: Madeleine Lee and Tracy Klat
  • Guests: Dave Ball, Kendra Savich

3. Chairman’s Opening Remarks

Al welcomed all to an exciting new year. Al then appointed Dave Ball and Kendra Savich to the Board as their positions will be reflected in the new bylaws.

4. Correspondence

  • Email from new member in appreciation of the new archer program.
  • Emails concerning lessons etc.
  • Property Tax Assessment – same value as last year.

5. Approval Of The Minutes Of The Last Meeting

15 December 2015, as posted on the website. M Bruce, 2nd George carried.

6. Reports

  • Around the room order:
  • NAP Program (James/Dave) – Program going really well, lots of positive feedback, 2 requests from families with wide range of ages 6-8 years & up – discussion to move to Business arising.
  • Diana – Have had 2 Women’s sessions so far, had 9 at the last – she will ensure the shooting times are posted to the website.
  • Bruce – Commented that the new archers are feeling a lot more welcome & inclusive.
  • Bev – No report.
  • Target (Rick) – 1st tournament held Jan 4 – lots of rain! 12 showed up for the shoot.
    • MICA is coming March 1st – 8 registered so far – Vancouver has also registered so we won’t see as many from over there.
  • Membership (Larry) – 110 paid so far this year, only 45 have completed the survey so far.
    • He is now working with the new Archery Canada Membership software.
  • Website (Kendra) – New website is nearly ready, she hopes to move it to the default section very soon.
  • JOP (Jarrod) – JOP going well, has had to re-enforce the ‘no drop off’ policy.
  • JOP (Bradley) – Reported that there is a club at UVic and is doing well, they may contact us at some point, they have been going for about a year now. Brad will stay in touch – Al put out an open invitation to them.
  • Lessons (George) – No report.
  • Junior (Matt) – No report.
  • Treasurer (Helena) – Financial reports are not available for this meeting, she will email them to Al.
    • She is now a carded coach at PISE and Alex Metcalf is a carded athlete.
      • The Board congratulated Helena!
    • 4 Classes on Thursday and 2 classes on Friday
    • Summer classes are filling up – Spring break is full.
  • Secretary (Mary) – No report.

7. Business Arising

  • New Website – will be live by the end of the week.
  • Toilets – Bruce outlined the long process of bringing this program up-to-date, he has talked to the pumping company and has been assured that we will now be on the proper scheduled and the accounts have been made current. Pumping will be once every 2 months in winter and once a month in the summer period. They do not clean to any standard he is happy with, so we will have to look after this ourselves.
    • Feb 16 and Apr 13 are the next scheduled pump
  • Judge Clinic – Tentative dates March 21/22 – subject to Darcy Falk’s availability
  • New Shirts – 12 Black shirts ready to order – need minimum 6 for a white shirt order
  • Targets – the new targets have arrived and are in the container.
    • Jarrod asked about indoor scorecards – will look into producing new.
  • Mailmatches – Barry D is looking after them 8 -10 are participating
  • Workshops – Dates and information are on the website and the last newsletter – Rooms are booked at Saanich Recreation, goal to generate interest and new club members
    • January 25 – Recurve – Jarrod and Vesa
    • February 15 – Compound – Rick E
    • February 22 – Longbow – Greg
  • Lessons – Discussion on what ages will work around our structures.
    • Youngest age for JOP 8 years, to attend club nights 13 years
  • Lock Change – Al will change the locks next Tuesday January 27th. Larry will inform paid members
  • Womens Shooting – There is extra time available on Sunday afternoons, 4:45 – 6:45. We do not see this as working for the women or for the club – Al will discuss with Adam.
  • Membership Data Project – Still not enough input, tabled till February.

8. New Business

  • Social Convenor – a notice will be posted for club members to find a volunteer – organizing fun events, BBQs etc along with tournaments and work parties.
  • New Butt Stand – The Board viewed the new stand design from Vesa Myllyniemi – all were impressed and thanks go out to Vesa! Vesa will continue building 11 more for now.
  • Toilet Cleaning – Matthew Lange volunteered to do the cleaning job, Bev will go through the process with him.

9. Disbursements for Approval

  • Dave Ball & James Collett for NAP
  • Rick Ellis for AC Registrations
  • George for finger slings
  • Jarrod and Bradley for JOP
  • Al for judging
  • M Larry, 2nd Bruce – Carried

10. Time And Place Of Next Meeting

March 16 2015 7:30PM at Saanich Commonwealth Place, room TBA.

11. For The Good Of The Association

Members gave positive statements on the club.

12. Adjournment

Meeting adjourned at 9:00PM