Turkey Shoot: A staple in the Victoria Bowmen calendar our annual Christmas Turkey shoot will be held December 14th at Saanich Commonwealth Place from 1:30 – 4:00 – there will be no regular or JOP shooting that day, but lots of fun with all novelty targets! Turkeys and other prizes will be awarded! We need pot luck appy’s, savories and sweets please.
New Archer Program We are adding an exciting new program to our Indoor and Outdoor shooting nights. A new archer program that will supply coaching and assistance to new archers who join the club. It will also provide on going coaching and advice to all members. Coaches will be available most shooting days to help, please take advantage. More information.
Our outdoor schedule is coming together fast, our listing of 2015 shoots is on our website now.
Coach Training We are planning an Instructor of Intermediate archers clinic here in Victoria in the near future, if you are interested, contact Rick or Jarrod. If you plan on taking any coach training, you will need these manuals.
We need new judges, if you are interested in Judge training, please contact Al again more details to follow, but we are planning a weekend get together with BCAA’s Judge chair in the next month or so. The process is very simple, you can do the first training online, then assist in some tournaments and if you like it, you can move onto more training and certification. Please give this some consideration, we need you!
Drop in Fee
People who have not shot before and have not been or are not members, may visit the club for a ‘try out’, Because of our insurance issues, we must record the names of such guests, so if you are aware of someone who wants to come out, be sure they sign in first. There is now a register book in the Indoor and Outdoor containers. If you cannot get to the register at the outdoor range, please provide the information to email@example.com.
Latest Board Meeting
The minutes from our latest meeting (November 17) have just been posted to our meeting page.
The following is repeated information, but still topical:
If you are interested, (Ladies only), please provide your feed back to Diana.
Lock the Gate:
If you are the last one at the range, please take the responsibility of checking to make sure everything is locked (container compound and gate). Best to go ahead and lock it if you’re not sure.
A few reminders of etiquette and procedures for indoor shooting: – Always be sure your membership card is visible!
1. Whistle rules (always ensure someone is designated to the whistle):
a) 2 short whistles – Archers to the line
b) 1 short whistle – Begin Shooting
c) 3 short whistles – Retrieve arrows
d) 4 or more whistles – EMERGENCY – All stop shooting.
2. Do not nock arrow until everyone is on or behind the shooting line and whistle is blown.
3. Shoot 3 arrows, more allowed if you don’t hold up others
4. Step back from the shooting line when finished shooting
5. Never draw above top of butt. Ensure your arrow will hit the butt, if not, move a butt closer
6. When pulling arrows be careful of those behind you.
7. Check your equipment before shooting.
8. Youth under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
9. Please help set up, take down and cleanup. Don’t leave this to others, someone has to set up and take down, it doesn’t take long if EVERYONE pitches in! Come a bit early and stay until the end.
10. Ensure the container is locked if you are last to leave.
11. There is NO shooting during work parties, when a work party is called there is no shooting until all the work is complete and the last of the workers has left – The President will open the range when it is appropriate.
Keep an eye on the website, and our facebook page, our tournament schedule is there are as are results, pictures and information on all facets of archery!